Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kindle Cover

     It was great fun to come up with a padded, lined Kindle cover for my daughter who received a new electronic reader for Christmas.  She wanted to keep it safe for her many travels with her husband.  I relished the challenge of altering my tote pattern to create a protective sheath that would be stylish and functional.  After having chosen a multi-colored, slim-striped fabric we decided to line it with a very vibrant large pink-on-red polka-dot.  The front flap was set off with a small black band with miniature white polka-dots to carry the theme of stripes and dots through a third fabric.
      To make this completely personal we added a special touch from my hope chest.  I recently found a bag full of embroidered flowers that my grandmother had accumulated over the years and given to me in her later life.  It was such a blessing to find them.  When I asked my daughter if she would like to have one of those antique appliques stitched onto the front flap of her cover she was elated.  We spent quite a bit of time together sifting through the bag until she found just the right piece.  It really touches off the Kindle case nicely.
      Now my daughter enjoys owning a handmade original designed specifically for her with the added blessing of carrying something her great-grandmother had intended to use for sewing...and we did!  What a privilege it was to find an heirloom that is precious to our family to embellish the piece I hand-fashioned for my daughter. Grandma would have loved that!
      If you are interested in ordering a handmade protective cover for your electronic device, all I need are its dimensions and an idea of  what it would take to reflect your taste. These cases are roomy for ease of operation.  I also add a convenient wrist strap so you can securely carry it with you.  Like my totes, they are made of high quality cotton in triple layers (in some places even 4 layers thick). Magnetic snap makes it a breeze to open/close and keeps your device snug.  Machine wash in cold water in a lingerie bag on delicate setting.  Hang dry.  Iron if necessary. If you are interested contact me at my email address: sewintoyou@hotmail.com 
     Turnaround is about two weeks by the time we chat and I shop for the fabrics that will turn your passion for reading into fashion!

1 comment:

  1. ahh i love it! you explained it so well! and that Kindle never goes anywhere without its cover and the only time its ever out of it is when im reading it :-) and of course its even more special because Nana's applique is on there. I LOVE IT! and $15.00 is super cheap for something so popular and being handmade.

    ReplyDelete